2012 Mock Draft Roundup 2.0
By on April 16, 2012 at 11:13 am

Notre Dame WR Michael Floyd could be an option at #8

The start of the NFL Draft is now just 10 days away and so today we bring you the second installment of the always-popular “Mock Draft Roundup,” which collects the opinions of analysts from around the country and puts them all in one place. The Dolphins hold the #8 pick and so here are the picks at that spot from both local and national sources:

Mel Kiper, Jr., ESPN: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M

We know Miami lacks a long-range plan at quarterback, and while Tannehill isn’t a guy I’d endorse as an immediate starter, his ceiling is so high you can take him here with a plan in place because of his rate of growth. His already sound mechanics and skill set imply a bright future. The talent isn’t in question.

Peter King, Sports Illustrated: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M

If you’re going to trust the coach you hired (Joe Philbin) to energize the offense and the coordinator you hired (Mike Sherman, who coached Tannehill in college) to tutor the quarterback, you’ve got to pick the triggerman they want. But you can’t panic by moving up to take Tannehill, because that would most likely cost at least a second-rounder. Not worth it.

Ben Volin, Palm Beach Post: Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

Dolphins go for the impact pass rusher instead of taking a developmental project in Ryan Tannehill.

Charles Davis, NFL Network: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

SURPRISE! (The first of a few …) The ‘Fins pass on Tannehill to select Brandon Marshall’s replacement. Yes, I know Miami may RUN to the podium to select Tannehill (if they don’t trade up), but you never really know …

Don Banks, SI.com: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M

If the Dolphins do land Tannehill, one of the takeaways will be that Miami obviously had more faith in new offensive coordinator Mike Sherman’s evaluation of Tannehill’s potential than new head coach Joe Philbin’s evaluation of Matt Flynn’s potential.

Charley Casserly, NFL.com: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M

Tannehill’s still a little raw, so he’ll benefit from not having to play right away.

Matty I, ThePhinsider.com: Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

I know, I know. I’m crazy, right? How can the Dolphins not take Ryan Tannehill if he’s still on the board? Let me make this clear – I would take Tannehill. However, for the first time all offseason, I’m beginning to think a first round QB is not Miami’s destiny this year (yet again). And among their long list of needs, a pass rusher is towards the top if the list. We all know about the “motor” issues that Coples had. But he is an elite talent and I believe DL coach Kacy Rodgers would be able to get the most out of him and develop him into a Mario Williams type of player. He’s that good – when he wants to be. Well with the new CBA, players make their big money on their second contract. So Coples will have millions and millions of reasons to be that good – at least for the first 4 or 5 years.

Evan Silva, ProFootballTalk.com: Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

The Fins will wait for their next second-round quarterback flop.

What position would you most like to see the Dolphins address at #8?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

yzzguy says:

My Oppinion on the Dolphins not drafting a NON A.Luck QB has changed drasticially! Re-Visiting Moore stats makes me think Drafting a QB now in the 1st to 4th round isnt need no more! Matt had a decent year and I was the one who start all of that SUCK 4 LUCK when Andrew was just a Sophmore cause i followed him very closely because of my handicapping stuff that i love doing! i was the first to say get rid of that asshole henne fire Soprano and Ireland and stev0 sell the team already and let the people that always loved the Dolphins BUY them from you! So stev0 of course PROMISED US A FRANCHISE QB & a SUPERSTAR COACH & failed to deliver on both of them and had his chances in the off season and again made us look like the PUNCHING BAG for all the league to take free kicks in the BALLS! NOW i am telling U JACKASS MAN U dont need to save face by going after a QB that we dont need anymore! Stick to your guns and get us either the top wide reciever or get Luck’s Tight end from Stanford dude has hands like glue and can block fantastic! After all hasnt the league already started in being a league where U need a great Tight End via Gates, Gonzalez, and way to many to list but U got my point! I didnt see anything wrong with our OL we still are very young there and continue to keep getting stronger there we have the Defense that is Super Bowl ready and I just might SAY IT OK!!!!!!!! WE have a team that can now contend for the playoffs with just a few tweaks we will be there this year cause we got the last place shudlue and can really surprise alot of teams with it!

chefwudan says:

My thoughts, and I know this is going to sound crazy… but I’d try to trade down from No. 8 and grab a Safety, either Mark Barron or Harrison Smith… get the Pass Rusher in the second round any one of Chandler Jones, Vinny Curry, Nick Perry, Andre Branch… WR and OL in round 3, I like Chris Givens, Mohammed Sanu, for WR, maybe a Tony Bergstrom from Utah, for the OL pick (to replace Colombo) 4th and 5th round, best available of a TE/WR like 6’5″ 250+ Michael Egnew (TE Missouri) and another WR like a Marvin Jones from Cal, or Tommy Streeter, depending how things go in the draft obviously, basically someone that would be a nice endzone target. 6th round, how about another versitle OL like Nate Potter, Boise State or CB Cliff Harris, Oregon, you can never have too much depth. 7th round I like a RB or another DE43/OLB34, we really don’t have much line depth for playing a 43 defense, if we are planning to deploy a 43 defense that is, or a speedy wideout, like Travis Benjamin, or even a Project QB, let’s not forget Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. With the depth of talent at certain positions and team needs I think we should pass on QB this year and look forward to next years sexy QB crop of Matt Barkley – USC, Tyler Bray – Tennesse, Landy Jones Oklahoma, and Tyler Wilson – Arkansas. Do you really prefer a Ryan Tannehill to them?

yzzguy says:

i am with U brother! how is Tannehill any ways! if we end up screw up this year which thats almost impossable playing a last place team schedulue we go after Barkley, Bray, Landry or Wilson but Moore looks to be the real deal but some how stev0 = jackass flim fame! to fuck up our draft once again especially wit jefireland as the GM! he should have been the first one fired and then maybe we would have had someone with football knowledge to draft for us this season! only time will tell now since its just less then 4 days away now!

winterusmc0311 says:

I completley agree with you, I don’t think its worth drafting a potential QB when there is so much talent available at other positions that we need. But on the other hand, i would rather see us make a mistake at a position we really need(Ryan Tannehill) and find out wheather he is going ot be great than see him go to another team and be the next payton Manning or draft another Early round bust(Ted Ginn Jr.) but with that said, my thoughts are on Luke Kuechly its not like Matt Moore did that bad last year, in fact he did good just not great.

Brian says:

Leave Tannehil. We already have a QB that needs “some development “, so why draft another one? Moore’s stats were actually impressive, when you factor in that he did it all from behind one of the most porous O-lines in the league.

We have other needs. I like the idea of picking up a good receiver, but I’m still a huge fan of defense. Philbin built a reputation for bringing out the best in the offensive players he has, so let’s get some more talent on the D side.

hptfinfan says:

I just dont believe a project player at * 8 to many other needs

This team made some great strides this off-season. I like the coach, I love Tannehill. I’ll be going to a whole lot of Fins games this year! GO FINS!

HULKFish says:

I’ll stick with Mayock’s assesment… Coples has too much of a chance of becoming a bust. “Invisible” his senior year, says Mayock. If the Dolphins decide that 8 is too high for Tannehill, and don’t go receiver, here is a safer plan. 1. Is Mark Barron off the board? 2. How about Luke Kuechly? He has “the next Zach Thomas” written all over him! Certainly a need. As a matter of fact, I say if the Dolphins don’t go offense, they should take Kuechly…

getemfins328 says:

I am right there with you on the Luke Kuechly pick

jazzdogg says:

I am sorry this guy is not and will not be Zack Thomas!!! If you want to take a linebacker you have to go with Donta Hightower or Courtney Upshaw, Either one will be a better pro than Kuechly. Which players played at a higher level against better competition? Whare was Bama’s defense ranked and where was Boston College’s ranked? Kuechly will be a nice NFL player but not a great one. If Tannyhill is off the board I say reciever like Floyd or a safety like Barron.