As the excitement of selecting the quarterback of the future Ryan Tannehill wears off, the Miami Dolphins must now prepare to continue to fill the needs of this football team in rounds two and three. The Dolphins have plenty of options as they look to add impact players at positions of need moving forward, and here are just some of the names that might be called in day two!
Offensive Needs: Offensive Line
1) Bobby Massie - Mississippi - A big man with a nasty disposition. Great feet for a big body and is a mauler as a run blocker. Would fit well at tackle and could possibly move inside as well.
2) Jonathan Martin – Stanford – Another great run blocker that is athletic and can get to the second level. Martin thrives in the run game but has some limitations in pass protection.
3) Jeff Allen – Illinois – A really good fit for Miami at right tackle and has the versatility to also play inside at right guard. Might be a steal in the third round when the Dolphins have back to back picks at number nine and ten.
4) Cordy Glenn – Georgia – Excellent strength with long arms built to pass protect. Also has good flexibility to play either guard or tackle. Known for taking good angles at the point of attack, and most project Glenn to be a solid pro lineman.
5) Mike Adams – Ohio State – Huge at 6’7 325 pounds and has zero problems with bull pass rushers coming off the edge because of his long arm reach. Shows above average athleticism but will need to stay on his feet more moving from college to the NFL.
1) Stephen Hill – Georgia Tech – At 6’4, Hill’s ability to stretch the field is terrific averaging over 29 yards per reception last season. He also has 4.3 speed and would be a welcomed addition to the needs of the Dolphins at this position.
2) Rueben Randle – LSU – Could be a nice fit for the Joe Philbin west coast offense because Randle get in and out of routes with precision and quickness. He displays a knack for finding the soft spots in zone coverage and with catch the ball in traffic.
3) Brian Quick – Appalachian State – Displays great run after catch abilities and is not afraid of contact. Changes direction very well and gets after the secondary blocking down field.
Defensive Needs: Defensive End/Outside Linebacker
1) Vinny Curry – Marshall – Curry is relentless in rushing the passer and 25 tackles for loss as a senior last season. He’s a get up the field pass rusher that would look good opposite Cam Wake!
2) Courtney Upshaw – Alabama – He’s everything your looking for if your defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle. Upshaw can fit the hybrid schemes the Dolphins will utilize and will consistently win against the run.
3) Lavonte David – Nebraska – Extremely active and always finds the ball carrier. Would fit perfectly at the weak side linebacker in a 4-3 defense, and thrives in pass coverage because he has great instincts. David would help solve the issue of facing the Patriots twice a year!
Luxury Pick: Tight End
1) Coby Fleener – Stanford – Andrew Luck’s favorite target because of his sure hands and quickness to separate from coverage. At 6’6, he will continue to use his size as a mismatch verses smaller nickle, dime and linebacker coverage. Would be a steal in the second round but Miami may have other pressing needs before this talented tight end.
The opinions, analysis and/or speculation expressed by The Finsiders Blog represent those of individual writers, and unless quoted or clearly labeled as such, do not represent the opinions, policies or desires of the Miami Dolphins organization, front office, coaches and executives. Writers' views are formulated independently from any inside information and/or conversation with Dolphins officials, including the coaches and scouts, unless otherwise noted.