/**/ /* ! */
- The Finsiders – Miami Dolphins - http://www.thefinsiders.com -
Fantasy: 2012 Quarterbacks Preview
Posted By The Finsiders On August 2, 2012 @ 10:39 am In Football | No Comments
2012 Fantasy Draft Quarterback Preview
By: James Morris
The 2012 NFL season is finally here, and that also means it is time to gear up for some fantasy football! This season is even more special for the Dolphins organization because we are bringing you the inaugural season of the Miami Dolphins fantasy football section!
The hardest thing about playing fantasy football is navigating the news, info, injuries, waiver wire add/drops, trades and stats to make the best decisions possible week in and week out. That is where I am come in; I am your ace in the hole. I will bring you fantasy football news about your Miami Dolphins and teams around the league throughout the week to keep you up on all the information you will need to win bragging rights within your league.
To start with we are going to take a look the draft rankings for each position. So, without further ado, let’s take a look at my top-10 fantasy quarterbacks:
1) Aaron Rodgers: Now, while Rodgers comes in as the #1 fantasy QB this season, you must understand that he isn’t the #1 overall pick in fantasy leagues; the first 3-5 picks are normally reserved for RBs. He has only missed one game in his four years in the league, sports one of the most accurate arms in the league, and has the athletic ability and ferociousness on the field to be the first QB off the board.
2) Cam Newton: Cam I Am has the unique combination of a high football IQ, cannon for an arm, and turbo boosters for legs. I’m not sure he can score 14 rushing TDs again, but 3,500 passing yards, 650 rushing yards, and 30-35 total TDs is well within his reach.
3) Tom Brady: Brady got bumped out of the top two spots because the Patriots have two amazing TEs and one WR, but not real vertical threat downfield. He does get some help in Brandon Lloyd and Donte’ Stallworth, and Brady has proven that he will carry a fantasy team regardless of what we think he has to work with.
4) Drew Brees: What scares me most about the Saints this season is all the change in the coaching ranks. While OC Pete Carmichael will continue to call the plays on offense, DC Joe Vitt will serve as interim HC and it remains to be seen how the offense will shake out under his control. Brees lost Robert Meachem in free agency, but Brees is a top tier QB with or without him and I would feel fine with him as my QB1.
5) Michael Vick: Vick enters this season as the unquestionable starter, DeSean Jackson got his money and Jeremy Maclin looks poised to finally do what we’ve been waiting for him to do. The Eagles have maybe the best offensive line in the league, and I am going to gamble on Vick having one more monster fantasy season left in him. I could see him throwing for 3,700 yards and scoring 30 total TDs this year.
6) Matthew Stafford: Stafford has Calvin Johnson to throw to, and that is one fine weapon to have in your arsenal. The problem is, the Lions WR2 is a question mark and I am not excited about Kevin Smith penciled in as the starting RB right now with Jahvid Best still out. That being said, Stafford is an elite QB that can easily throw for 4,500 yards and 30 TDs this year.
7) Eli Manning: While Hakeem Nicks will be out until the middle of camp, Victor Cruz emerged as a hidden gem last year and rookie Rueben Randle will get every chance to see first team reps in the meantime. Better yet, the O-Line is healthy and I see 4,200-plus passing yards and 30 TDs from him this season.
8) Tony Romo: Romo and Eli Manning are the top two QBs in the 2nd tier of fantasy quarterbacks, but I have him ranked below Eli because the Cowboys lost Laurent Robinson in FA and Dez Bryant has some off-field issues that could be a distraction. That being said, Miles Austin and Bryant make for a great 1-2 combo at WR, and DeMarco Murray can be a very good RB that takes the heat off the passing game. You can interchange Romo and Manning here without missing anything in terms of production on paper.
9) Peyton Manning: How the mighty have fallen in the Manning family. By all accounts Peyton Manning is 100 percent healthy and looks just as good as he once was. But, that is also without taking a hit from an opposing defensive lineman. His injury risk and change of offense make him a boom-or-bust pick.
10) Matt Ryan: New OC Dirk Koetter is a believer in vertical passing and the no-huddle, which play to the strengths of Ryan, Julio Jones, and Roddy White. Not only that, but the Falcons have stated repeatedly that they will reduce the workload on Michael Turner. Matty Ice is a value pick at #10, and could be worth even more if everything lines up right for him.
Dolphins Fantasy QB Situation: Matt Moore and David Garrard are battling with rookie Ryan Tannehill for the starting QB job. Tannehill’s college coach, Mike Sherman, is Head Coach Joe Philbin’s offensive coordinator so that might give the rookie a head start in the competition. Those in 2-QB leagues can look at Moore or Garrard as good bye week options, but be ready to make the switch to Tannehill when the Dolphins do.
Honorable Mentions: Philip Rivers lost Vincent Jackson and is now looking at Meachem and Malcom Floyd as his top two WRs. I have him as a QB2; Ben Roethlisberger is without Mike Wallace and Rashard Mendenhall could miss the first half of the season. He is a borderline QB1, but I’d let someone else take the risk; Robert Griffin III is going to go higher than he should due to his hype. His WRs and RBs worry me, and I have him slotted as a top tier QB2.
To sign up for the NFL’s free official fantasy game click here .
Stay tuned to The Finsiders, weekdays at 5pm on Dolphins.com for information on how you can sign up to play fantasy football against Sam Madison, Keith Sims and other former Dolphin players.
Article printed from The Finsiders – Miami Dolphins: http://www.thefinsiders.com
URL to article: http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2012/fantasy-2012-quarterbacks-preview
URLs in this post:
 here: http://www.nfl.com/fantasy
Copyright © 2010 The Finsiders. All rights reserved.