/**/ /* ! */
- The Finsiders – Miami Dolphins - http://www.thefinsiders.com -
3 Observations On Practice #1
Posted By John Congemi On July 21, 2013 @ 2:46 pm In Football | No Comments
It was standing room only at the Doctors Hospital Training Facility in Davie as the Miami Dolphins hit the field on Sunday morning. A quick estimate tagged the number around 2,700 total fans that came out Sunday morning to get their first glimpse of the 2013 team. Excitement and anticipation for the season wasn’t limited to the bleachers as the team looked sharp for the majority of the practice. There were plenty of positive to capture on both sides of the football, but here are some of my observations from day one!
1) Team Starting Fast - It was clear to see that Head Coach Joe Philbin wants to build off of the momentum that was established at OTA’s and Mini-Camp this off-season. The offense looked crisp with quarterbacks Ryan Tannehill and Matt Moore delivering the football with timing and accuracy. Both quarterbacks looked comfortable in the offense and had a solid first day. Some things never change as wide receiver Brian Hartline consistently found a way to get open and catch the football. Newcomers Marvin McNutt and Brandon Gibson didn’t waste anytime showing off their skills on the outside. McNutt had success underneath and over the top of the defense and Gibson showed the ability to stretch the middle of the field.
2) Team Practiced Efficiently - There wasn’t much time to catch your breath if you were on the field going through drills or sitting in the stands watching practice today! The squad moved from seven on seven drills to team workouts and then back to individual work with very little time in-between . Individual special teams work was also sprinkled not only to refine their skills, but also to get their conditioning in as they worked on the field.
3) The Kicking Competition Is Officially On! - This staff didn’t waste anytime delaying one of the battles that will take place during training camp and throughout the pre-season. Veteran Dan Carpenter started out the competition getting the call to handle all of the place kicking to open up training camp and he delivered a clean performance without a miss. Carpenter was perfect from inside of 45 yards and finished off the day hitting two from 50 as well. Rookie Caleb Sturgis will probably get his first opportunities tomorrow as the kickers will most likely rotate days getting plenty of time to showcase his abilities to this staff.
Some Quick Hits:
- Rookie DE Dion Jordan was at practice and on the field during the walk through, but didn’t participate in any team drills. Jordan was placed on the non-football injury list and will most likely stay on it for the first week or two of training camp.
- Rookie CB Jamar Taylor did participate in all the team activities and looked 100 percent coming back from sports hernia surgery in the off-season.
RELATED: Training Camp Central 
Article printed from The Finsiders – Miami Dolphins: http://www.thefinsiders.com
URL to article: http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2013/3-observations-on-opening-day-of-training-camp
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2013/3-observations-on-opening-day-of-training-camp/attachment/072113-mcnutt660
 estimate tagged the number around 2,700 total fans : http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/Dolphins-Fans-Pack-The-Stands-For-Opening-Of-Training-Camp/ef42bb9f-4017-4c82-8c03-7c0b20f4808e
 moved from seven on seven drills to team workouts and then back to individual work with very little time in-between: http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/Second-Training-Camp-Under-Philbin-Starts-Seamlessly/752e15d7-187c-4cdb-869f-6af30d18fa5c
 Action Photos Of The Fins Hitting The Field For Practice #1 : http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/photo-gallery/The-Dolphins-Are-Back-To-Football/31420567-3283-4a17-b732-9ad8d227ae20
 Jordan Gets Acclimated On Day 1; Other Notes From Day 1: http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/Day-1-Notebook-Jordan-Gets-Acclimated-Other-Notes/61921184-7f68-473f-978f-9897f4215080
 Training Camp Central: http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2013/training-camp-central-72113
Copyright © 2010 The Finsiders. All rights reserved.