2014 Memberships Single Game Tickets 3D Seat Views Chat W/ Rep
Dee Confirms Logo Evolution
By on March 29, 2013 at 3:02 am

032713_MD_Facebook_profile_new_sloganAfter reports surfaced late Tuesday and early Wednesday with what was said to be the Dolphins’ new logo, Mike Dee confirmed the news on Wednesday and said the organization would begin a 30-day rollout of its new identity.

The Dolphins CEO spoke to The Finsiders on Wednesday about the new logo and the process that led to the change.

“We have made the decision to, in advance of what we originally intended, to have the logo itself…make its way out,” Dee said. “It was featured today in a number of different places, including our own Jared Odrick (who) was down at Baptist Hospital and he caught wind of it and wanted to wear the new stuff.” (And Odrick did wear a t-shirt which he tweeted out as you can see here.

The new logo, which still includes navy and white accents, will remain aqua and orange, though the colors will return to the hues worn by the ’70s and ’80s teams. Also, for the first time in franchise history, the Dolphins’ facemask will be white, joining the Kansas City Chiefs as the only other team to go with white – the facemasks had previously been gray and then aqua.

“We’re excited to show the rest of what we’ve done, including the uniforms, which we think are going to be jaw-dropping when they come out on April 25.”

Many wondered, even as more information became public, whether this was a spur of the moment decision. But the logo evolution isn’t something that just came about in the past few months. The organization first started the evolution in 2010, Dee said, and began to solicit fan input. The process was delayed a year because of the NFL’s outfitter switch from Reebok to Nike, but the new look is ready for the 2013 season.

“It’s really been three years in the making, with a lot of fan feedback and dialogue in the mix of that,” Dee said. “So the cake is coming out of the oven, so to speak, in the middle of a lot of things going on at the moment. That makes it exciting and fun for us.”

Dan Marino and Don Shula’s thoughts on the new logo here

PHOTOS: Jared Odrick wearing a t-shirt with new logo while visiting kids at Baptist Children’s Hospital in Kendall.

BigPhinja says:

I have been a Dolphin fan for 37 years and nothing will change that. However, showing my pride by wearing anything with this ugly logo, that’s a different story.

sbunney says:

Hit them in the wallet. Dont buy anything with that ugly new logo on it and they’ll get the message

islandjones says:

alifka123 says:

This logo is terrible and embarrassing. I was looking forward to this upcoming year so much and this has really ruined it for me. Won’t be buying anything that has that stupid logo on it.

The Man says:

This is a slap in the face to our tradition by a bunch of carpet bagging Johnny come latelys. It’s an affront. It’s offensive.

The Man says:

This is devastating. I hoped all day it was an April Fools joke. I’m not opposed to modernizing our logo, but this is the worst thing I’ve ever seen. It might make a nice jail house tramp stamp for some troubled young lady, but an NFL logo? There’s a version out there with the dolphin updated without the helmet. It looks modern and aggressive. The picture shows it as a patch on a shirt, on the side of a helmet, and shows a full uniform with a guy wearing number 22. It looks perfect. Everybody would like it. I thought surely that was where we were heading. Nope. They got us again. It’s like we’re constantly sabotaged by management. Boycott. Don’t buy a single thing with this disgraceful little girl art on it.

Todd671 says:

lol,read this…yet another site confirming MANY people not liking the new logo.

jmpyatt says:

I am a Dolphins fan for life, always have been (since the perfect season) and always will be. No logo issue will change that. It would have been respectable to us fans, however, if they had included us in this process.

sbunney says:

The only way to get the message through to them is by not buying anthing with the new logo on it. Hit them in the wallet and it will change.

Satrony says:

so should I buy the old merch? I always thought the only good thing to come out of this would be that I could get the New merch on sale when they make room for this neww crap

Schroon LK says:

I have to agree with whomever said cheap, but I believe it’s mor “generic”. Football is a rough sport and this looks like it could be for a softball team (just add stitchig to the “sun” or softball.
If you simply put the helmet back on, I think it could be better received.
I loved Dan and his desire to win, but? And there is no doubt about how Dolphins fans feel about
Mr. Don Shula, but I want to hear what Larry CSONKA has to say about this new logo

blue90 says:

The more I see this new logo the more I like it. I think it’ll look great on the helmets. It’s more like its moving forward than the old one.

Given that they were the ones to leak it, is anybody else surprised that nfl.com hasn’t updated their graphics to the new logo yet?

cydonia says:

Rumor has it, the white jerseys will have aqua numbers trimmed by blue! This is a travesty! AQUA AND ORANGE! Nothing else!

blue90 says:

Travesty is a bit of a strong word but ye, I’d prefer aqua and orange. We’ll have to wait to see what they actually look like before we pass judgement

Harmsway says:

What a terrible, shameful POS. This is not ‘trepidation’ about something new. I felt that way about the logo in the 90′s. This is just a hot mess…

oldschoolfinsfan says:

That new logo is absolutely AWFUL. It looks like something you’d see at a theme park. If you really wanted to honor the tradition of this once storied franchise, you would have used the uniforms from when this team was great in the 70′s. We are the people who can afford to pay for tickets.

tommy304 says:

That’s just aweful!! Maybe Ross had a grandkid create the new logo.

wjmilde13 says:

Tell me and the rest of the Dolfan nation again, why could we not have a say in the product that we would be willing to pay for?
I would have liked a chance at 3 to 4 logo ideas and have all DolFans vote accordingly. Born in 1966 and a Finfan since 1973, now I have to wait for the organization to realize they made another major mistake. How long do I and others have to deal with this? The logo looks like a little girls room logo. This is football. Do the Chicago Bears have sweet little eyelashes on their logo? Did New England put a skirt on the Patriot? This is unbelievable. I’ll hav to stick to 1996 version and back. Thanks for considering the fans thoughts.

blue90 says:

Because if dolphins fans had a say in things our starting quarterback would be Kyle Orton and we’d have god only knows who at head coach and GM.

Andy says:

I think it’s just a Matter of time till the logo grows on people. It’s a more modern approach to our previous logo, which was honestly much more “soft” than the new logo. The old logo had a solid grin on its face. I get it that people are upset, but it’s an evolution, if you refuse to buy Dolphins merchandise for this one reason, it’s pretty clear your not a die hard dolphins fan, especially since you apparently began liking them in 73? (Right after the notorious 72 undefeated season) if that doesn’t scream bandwagon I don’t know what does. Stick with your team.

rrog says:

Bandwagon? Dude, he was seven! I became a fan in ’71 (I was six). If being a fan that long doesn’t qualify as a lifelong fan, then I don’t know what does. Much younger than that and there’s really not going to be much football awareness and knowledge. As a guy who has been a fan 42 of my 48 years (but I’m not a lifelong fan?!?), I’m also against the new logo. New logos do not a winner make.

islandjones says:

I’m a life long Dolphin fan- through the best and worst of seasons. And I simply CAN NOT believe that anyone would have signed off on this logo. Does anyone in the front office study marketing or psychology? This symbol does not exude power, strength or competitiveness. It is weak. It is feminine in the worst way. Colors matter, Logos matter. They give the team an identity and this identity is better suited for a cruise line serving pina coladas. That swervy little fish is singing in the shower!!! Where is our FOOTBALL LOGO? We needed something tough and something that would inspire our players to the highest level of their athletic ability. There was another logo posted in the Palm Beach times that was great. It was refreshed, bold, no helmet and the Dolphin wasnt so wavy. PLEASE guys, put this to a fan vote. and by the way, I AM a woman and love swervy and pink things, but everything has its place and purpose. This logo is better placed on a femine product, NOT a Football team. /Users/carolinajones/Desktop/dolphins-logo-300×225.jpg