/**/ /* ! */
- The Finsiders – Miami Dolphins - http://www.thefinsiders.com -
Andy Cohen: Quick Hits From OTA #1
Posted By Andy Cohen On May 27, 2014 @ 3:08 pm In Football | 11 Comments
Andy Cohen’s column on Dolphins.com appears at 6 a.m. every weekday from training camp through the season and when events warrant during the offseason. Occasionally, like today, Andy will provide some quick hits. Be sure to follow Andy Cohen on Twitter at @ACohenFins .
Have a question for A.C.? Submit your questions to Andy Cohen on Twitter at @ACohenFins .
• So much to focus on with the entire team together. Ryan Tannehill entering year three. Koa Misi switching to the inside. Receivers rehabbing. The new-look offensive line. The 2014 rookie class. A different offense. All crucial to the success of this team. All on display on a sizzling Tuesday morning.
• The offense being installed by new offensive coordinator Bill Lazor is predicated on a quick rhythm and multiple formations. I took an informal poll of some offensive players and the early reviews were positive to say the least. “It’s all happens fast, just the way I like it,” said receiver Mike Wallace.
• Great to see former Dolphins All-Pro Jason Taylor back on the practice field. Taylor will be assisting with the defensive linemen during OTAs. Not sure if he’ll be around more than that, but Taylor’s tutelage – even just a few important tips — has to be a huge help for someone like Dion Jordan.
• Speaking of Dion Jordan, he has put on some body mass during the offseason and it seems to fit him well. There is no second-year player I am looking forward to seeing this season more than Jordan. He is healthy and hungry; two important qualities.
• Koa Misi’s move to inside linebacker should be one of the more intriguing subplots of training camp. Misi definitely has the ability to make the switch. While nothing is permanent at this point, the intent is to improve the rushing defense and Misi certainly has the tools to do that.
• Second-round pick Jarvis Landry got a chance to return some kicks Tuesday morning and, while his speed is not extraordinary, his quickness and toughness could make him a valuable returner. Just a gut feeling right now, but Landry has a chance to be special.
• Just listening to veteran cornerback Cortland Finnegan leaves you impressed. This is a player with an extreme amount of confidence and a high maturity level, a lot like Brent Grimes. Could turn out to be a real feel good story on this team.
• I’m told that second-year guard Dallas Thomas has come a long way since an uneventful rookie season. If Thomas can contribute, this could turn out to be a huge bonus for the offensive line.
• Center Mike Pouncey keeps getting asked about last season, but that’s the last thing he wants to talk about. “It’s all about 2014,” he said. “Everybody on this team is moving forward.”
• One neat thing about this new offense. When the Dolphins break the huddle, the snap could happen in a heartbeat. “We want to put pressure on a defense from the moment we break the huddle,” said quarterback Ryan Tannehill.
• It’s the way he catches passes – so easily so smoothly – that could separate Knowshon Moreno from every other back on this roster.
• The last player off the practice field? It is usually Mike Wallace who can’t get enough reps with the JUG machine. There’s a reason he’s so good.
• Joe Philbin is encouraging former Dolphins players like Jason Taylor to show up at practice. It’s a nice way to bridge the past with the present, which I’ve always felt is very important for this franchise.
Article printed from The Finsiders – Miami Dolphins: http://www.thefinsiders.com
URL to article: http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2014/andy-cohen-quick-hits-from-ota-1
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.thefinsiders.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/140527_AC_AM.jpg
 @ACohenFins: https://twitter.com/#!/ACohenFins
 Click here for more A.C. In The A.M. Columns: http://www.thefinsiders.com/tag/andy-cohen
Copyright © 2010 The Finsiders. All rights reserved.