/**/ /* ! */
- The Finsiders – Miami Dolphins - http://www.thefinsiders.com -
Six At Six: Andy Cohen’s Six Thoughts On Day Two Of Free Agency
Posted By Andy Cohen On March 13, 2014 @ 5:55 am In Football | 18 Comments
Andy Cohen’s column on Dolphins.com appears at 6 a.m. every weekday from training camp through the season and when events warrant during the offseason. Occasionally, like today, Andy will provide six things to think about. Thus, the title, “Six at Six.”
Be sure to follow Andy Cohen on Twitter at @ACohenFins .
Another day passes, and the Dolphins stay busy, in the wildest beginning to free agency I can remember. Press conferences to introduce Branden Albert and Earl Mitchell. The surprise re-signing of Randy Starks. A trade late Tuesday with San Francisco. More rumors flying everywhere. What’s next? Do we get a minute to catch our breath? Apparently not.
So while your head is spinning and the Dolphins keep moving on, here are six thoughts from Day Two.
1. It’s still early, but I like what I’ve seen so far from new General Manager Dennis Hickey. It is clear he has a well thought out plan, just as it’s clear that Hickey and Coach Joe Philbin are working in sync, both with the same objectives. It’s truthfully refreshing to see.
2. We got to meet the team’s new left tackle Wednesday and Albert is an impressive looking man who said all the right things. “I’m going to make a difference,” he said confidently. There isn’t much of a gamble in this signing. The Dolphins know what they are getting and there seems to be a real comfort zone within the organization now that the most important position on the offensive line has been filled.
3. The Dolphins regressed last season at stopping the run, which had a lot to do with the quick, decisive signing of defensive tackle Earl Mitchell. Asked to describe himself, Mitchell quickly responded, “passionate.” I would choose another “p” word: Productive. Mitchell – only 26 years old — is coming off his best season with the Houston Texans (87 tackles, 1 ½ sacks) and he takes a lot of pride in being a force against the run. “I’m ready to make plays,” he said. And you get the feeling he really means it.
4. You can now check the defensive line off your list of offseason needs. With the signing of Mitchell and the re-signing of veteran Randy Starks, the Dolphins are loaded up front and can now move on to other areas. I didn’t expect Starks to return, but this is a huge bonus for this defense and the trio of Mitchell, Starks and Jared Odrick will give the Dolphins plenty of flexibility. I always thought Starks was as consistent as any player on this team. Great to see him back.
5. The trade of Jonathan Martin had to happen. The Dolphins, plain and simple, could not have kept him on their roster after the events of last season. Working out a deal with San Francisco was a smart idea for everyone concerned. It is home for Martin and he’ll be playing for his former college coach (Jim Harbaugh). As for the Dolphins, they did not get back anything close to the second-round pick they had invested on Martin. But at least they got something and at least they can say they did what was best for the player.
6. What’s next? I’m sure the Dolphins will be looking for another tackle and some guards to help fill out the offensive line. Maybe a cornerback or linebacker. The more they accomplish in free agency, the more options they’ll have in the draft. I’m also very interested to see what unfolds at running back. There are some intriguing possibilities in free agency, players who have already had productive careers. But do you move in that direction or wait until the draft? Who knows, maybe Day 3 of this wackiest of weeks will bring us that answer.
Official List: 2014 Dolphins Free Agent Signings 
Hickey Feels Right At Home In The Middle Of Free Agency 
Meet Dolphins Pro Bowl Offensive Tackle Branden Albert 
VIDEO: Hickey Discusses His Free Agency Moves 
VIDEO: Branden Albert Highlights 
Article printed from The Finsiders – Miami Dolphins: http://www.thefinsiders.com
URL to article: http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2014/six-at-six-andy-cohens-six-thoughts-on-day-two-of-free-agency
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.thefinsiders.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/140313_AC_AM.jpg
 @ACohenFins: https://twitter.com/#!/ACohenFins
 Official List: 2014 Dolphins Free Agent Signings: http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2014/miami-dolphins-official-signings?_ga=1.111880580.1427730480.1363619231
 Hickey Feels Right At Home In The Middle Of Free Agency: http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/Hickey-Feels-Right-At-Home-In-The-Middle-Of-Free-Agency/639ec091-9b07-408f-9b44-55443877d0eb
 Meet Dolphins Pro Bowl Offensive Tackle Branden Albert: http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-2/Meet-Dolphins-Pro-Bowl-Offensive-Tackle-Branden-Albert/317adf9b-57dd-4394-af90-6dba4b5b358f
 VIDEO: Hickey Discusses His Free Agency Moves: http://www.miamidolphins.com/multimedia/videos/Hickey_Discusses_His_Free_Agency_Moves/50ac42a7-f52d-4bf4-ae5a-12e6ca8dbb30
 VIDEO: Branden Albert Highlights: http://www.miamidolphins.com/multimedia/videos/Branden_Albert_Highlights/e6de5f50-fe07-4e0e-b28b-aa14a145d6eb
Copyright © 2010 The Finsiders. All rights reserved.