/**/ /* ! */
- The Finsiders – Miami Dolphins - http://www.thefinsiders.com -
Six At Six: Andy Cohen’s Six Thoughts On GM Dennis Hickey
Posted By Andy Cohen On January 29, 2014 @ 5:55 am In Football | 25 Comments
Andy Cohen’s column on Dolphins.com appears at 6 a.m. every weekday from training camp through the season and when events warrant during the offseason. Occasionally, like today, Andy will provide six things to think about. Thus, the title, “Six at Six.”
Be sure to follow Andy Cohen on Twitter at @ACohenFins .
1. I was left with many impressions following Dennis Hickey’s first press conference as General Manager of the Dolphins, but what stood out most was simply this: There seems to be a real compatibility between Hickey and Coach Joe Philbin. In philosophy. In personality. In the way they approach their jobs. At the end of the day, it is imperative for the Coach and General Manager to be on the same page – regardless of whom they report to. Owner Stephen Ross says he wants them “joined on the hip.” Based on first impressions, that seems to be the case.
2. But Ross admitted publicly for the first time that this wasn’t the case with former General Manager Jeff Ireland and Philbin. “I tried to make it work, but couldn’t,” Ross said. This only substantiates that the change of general managers was not only best for the organization, but something that had to be done. Ross clearly believes in Philbin. He had no intention, he said, of starting all over again. “I like the track we’re on,” he said. Apparently, it just needed some fine-tuning.
3. Hickey is a likeable man who will have a great deal of authority, being responsible for the entire 53-man roster. He has spent his professional life waiting for this opportunity. You root for a person like this. As an aside: I loved the fact that his young son Barrett couldn’t wait to have his parents buy him a Ryan Tannehill jersey and was wearing it at the press conference. Guess we’ve got another Tannehill fan in town.
4. Just a thought: Wouldn’t it be something if after all the talk about the people who didn’t want the job, that Dennis Hickey turns out to be the right choice after all? Sometimes good fortune can work in strange ways.
5. As I said in my column on Monday, the only thing that matters now is that Hickey makes the right choices for this team. To evaluate him before he puts together a canvas of decisions just isn’t fair.
6. Finally, one thing Dennis Hickey said toward the end of his press conference really hit home. He was asked about all the different resources he uses to evaluate players – the tapes, the computer printouts, the measurables, the aptitude tests and on and on. “But at the end of the day,” Hickey said. “I trust my own eyes.” And that’s exactly what we’re all counting on.
Article printed from The Finsiders – Miami Dolphins: http://www.thefinsiders.com
URL to article: http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2014/six-at-six-andy-cohens-six-thoughts-on-gm-dennis-hickey
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.thefinsiders.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/140129_AC_AM.jpg
 @ACohenFins: https://twitter.com/#!/ACohenFins
 Hickey Ready To Build A Winner: http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/Hickey-Ready-To-Build-A-Winner/d2a6de84-f9e4-4c73-96e8-d8980d3f96f6
 VIDEO: Hickey On The Finsiders: http://www.miamidolphins.com/multimedia/videos/Dennis-Hickey-Describes-His-Vision-For-The-Fins/4a14e882-9de6-4b41-99e7-49080cbb8874
 PHOTOS: Hickey Introductory Press Conference: http://www.miamidolphins.com/multimedia/photo-gallery/Dennis-Hickey-Introductory-Press-Conference/0af28dd6-af7d-4552-a517-1f7be776ded1
Copyright © 2010 The Finsiders. All rights reserved.