/**/ /* ! */
- The Finsiders – Miami Dolphins - http://www.thefinsiders.com -
Six At Six: Andy Cohen’s Six Thoughts On Week One of Free Agency
Posted By Andy Cohen On March 18, 2014 @ 5:50 am In Football | 15 Comments
Andy Cohen’s column on Dolphins.com appears at 6 a.m. every weekday from training camp through the season and when events warrant during the offseason. Occasionally, like today, Andy will provide six things to think about. Thus, the title, “Six at Six.”
Be sure to follow Andy Cohen on Twitter at @ACohenFins .
1. It’s so easy now to see the pieces coming together. A left tackle. A defensive tackle. A guard. A cornerback. It all fits. It all makes sense. It is all part of The Plan to re-tool the Dolphins quickly and efficiently. Week one of free agency gave us the first real sign of what the new tandem of GM Dennis Hickey and Coach Joe Philbin is all about. And, truthfully, how can you not be impressed?
2. The Dolphins showed us a nice mixture of going for the big money talent and going for value. They quickly closed the deal on left tackle Branden Albert, and didn’t hesitate opening the vault. They paid what the market dictated. Then with some of the others, like defensive tackle Earl Mitchell and offensive guard Shelley Smith, they went with players who have just scratched the surface of potential. They paid enough to make it happen, but didn’t overspend. The same with defensive tackle Randy Starks.
3. Dennis Hickey has gotten off to a solid start as the team’s general manager. He clearly does his homework and comes across as sincere and diligent. I’m anxious to see where he goes from here. I like the fact that he didn’t mind rolling the dice a little with a player like cornerback Cortland Finnegan, who struggled last season in St. Louis after putting together an impressive resume with the Titans for six seasons. Low risk, very high reward.
4. Imagine if Finnegan works out. Imagine if he returns to the form that saw him become one of the league’s most consistently good corners. The Dolphins would then have perhaps the smallest starting duo in the league (both Brent Grimes and Finnegan are about 5-9) but the feistiest as well. I just love the attitude that Grimes and Finnegan brings to each Sunday. Let’s just hope it’s contagious.
5. There is still plenty of work ahead on the offensive line but left tackle is set with Albert, center remains solid with Mike Pouncey and you can now pencil in Smith at one of the guard positions. That leaves one tackle and a guard and maybe some added depth to find in free agency and the draft. With three of the five pieces in place, a complete makeover/upgrade is clearly now attainable.
6. What now? What should we expect in Week Two and beyond? The answer is simple: More of the same. I expect the Dolphins to continue to look for value, and there’s still plenty of that out there. Oh, Hickey may have one or two big splashes left (running back? right tackle?) but I don’t see panic on the agenda and I continue to see a well-defined plan of attack unfolding before the draft fills in most of the final pieces.
Official List: 2014 Dolphins Free Agent Signings 
Hickey Feels Right At Home In The Middle Of Free Agency 
Meet Dolphins Pro Bowl Offensive Tackle Branden Albert 
VIDEO: Hickey Discusses His Free Agency Moves 
VIDEO: Branden Albert Highlights 
Article printed from The Finsiders – Miami Dolphins: http://www.thefinsiders.com
URL to article: http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2014/six-at-six-andy-cohens-six-thoughts-on-week-one-of-free-agency
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.thefinsiders.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/140804AC_AM.jpg
 @ACohenFins: https://twitter.com/#!/ACohenFins
 Official List: 2014 Dolphins Free Agent Signings: http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2014/miami-dolphins-official-signings?_ga=1.111880580.1427730480.1363619231
 Hickey Feels Right At Home In The Middle Of Free Agency: http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/Hickey-Feels-Right-At-Home-In-The-Middle-Of-Free-Agency/639ec091-9b07-408f-9b44-55443877d0eb
 Meet Dolphins Pro Bowl Offensive Tackle Branden Albert: http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-2/Meet-Dolphins-Pro-Bowl-Offensive-Tackle-Branden-Albert/317adf9b-57dd-4394-af90-6dba4b5b358f
 VIDEO: Hickey Discusses His Free Agency Moves: http://www.miamidolphins.com/multimedia/videos/Hickey_Discusses_His_Free_Agency_Moves/50ac42a7-f52d-4bf4-ae5a-12e6ca8dbb30
 VIDEO: Branden Albert Highlights: http://www.miamidolphins.com/multimedia/videos/Branden_Albert_Highlights/e6de5f50-fe07-4e0e-b28b-aa14a145d6eb
Copyright © 2010 The Finsiders. All rights reserved.